Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)
What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)?
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (also known as AUS 32, or generically as urea) is a solution of solid urea dissolved in deionized water to produce a concentration that is 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water.
How DEF Works
Controlled amounts of the DEF solution are injected into the engine exhaust stream prior to the SCR catalyst. The temperature of the exhaust converts the urea in the DEF to ammonia. The ammonia and NOx in diesel exhaust react in the presence of the SCR catalyst to convert the NOx into nitrogen (N2) and water (H2O).
Typical properties of a DEF solution with 32.5% urea
|Kinetic Viscosity at 25°C||1.28 cSt|
|Surface Tension at 25°C||65 mN/m, min.|
|Heat Capacity||0.82 BTU/lb (°F)|
|Vapor Pressure Factor (relative to water)||0.88|
- Caterpillar offers DEF in 2.5 gallon (9.5 liter) bottles for single use applications and in semi-bulk quantities 264 gallon (1000 liter) totes.
- Any commercial DEF that meets the ISO 22241-1 specification is allowed for use in Cat® SCR equipped vehicles.
- DEF can be purchased at common retail locations such as on-highway truck fueling stations; automotive parts stores; or authorized Cat dealers. DEF is also offered in bulk quantities directly from suppliers or fuel distributors. For more information regarding availability of DEF, visit http://www.discoverdef.com/home.aspx in the US or http://www.findadblue.com/ in Europe.
- DEF Flyer
- DEF FAQ
- Chemtool DEF MSDS
- Selective Catalytic Reduction Animated Slide
- Caterpillar Machine Fluids Recommendations - SEBU6250
- Caterpillar Commercial Diesel Engine Fluids Recommendations - SEBU6251
- Caterpillar On-Highway Diesel Engine Fluids Recommendations - SEBU6385
- Caterpillar Gas Engine Lubricant, Fuel, and Coolant Recommendations - SEBU6400
- Caterpillar 3600 Series and C280 Series Diesel Engine Fluids Recommendations - SEBU7003